Even among choice Florida destinations, Holmes Beach stands apart for its sparkling, sandy shores, wealth of recreational opportunities, and laid-back “old Florida” feel. If you love the beach but not the crowds, noise, or chaos, then Holmes Beach is for you. Here are five great reasons to visit this amazing destination:
- The ocean. Unlike Florida’s East Coast, the goal shores are remarkably placid and swimmer-friendly. Of course, you’ll still be able to enjoy waves lapping along the shores. But you can also venture out into the shallow areas that extend from the beach for a relaxing swim.
- The sand. Holmes Beach is consistently rated one of Florida’s most beautiful areas for its powder-white sands. Originally part of the Appalachian mountain chain, nature has gradually washed these particles southward to the Florida shores over the ages. In the process, it has polished and refined them to pristine perfection. You’ll love the way it feels against your bare feet as you take a leisurely stroll along the coast.
- The food. No matter your culinary tastes, Holmes Beach has what you crave. Drop by Skinny’s Place for their world-famous burgers, hot dogs, and chicken tenders. Visit “The Feast” for black Angus filet mignon, salmon with steamed spinach and goat cheese, crab cakes, or other fine dining options. Or just pop into Holy Cow ice creamery for a sweet, frozen treat that sure to bring a smile to your face. Whether you’re in the mood for a quick snack or a multi-course dinner, you’ll find it at Holmes Beach.
- The shopping. No, you won’t find giant, crowded mega-malls packed with screaming teens. But you will discover some quaint little shops filled with fascinating things to see and purchase. You’ll also find art galleries and studios filled with works by local artists. . Take home a one-of-a-kind memento of your trip or choose a practical item to make your everyday life better. Whatever your shopping style, Holmes Beach has you covered.
- The convenience. Holmes Beach is mere footsteps away from the free trolley that runs the length of Anna Maria Island. Giving you full access to local beaches and other attractions without the Foss and expense you’ll encounter in other places. You can go virtually anywhere on the island in shorts and flip-flops and not attract the slightest bit of attention, since everyone else is dressed the same way.
- The feel. This quality is hard to define in words, yet it’s easy to recognize when you encounter it. Holmes Beach and the rest of Anna Maria Island is simply a good place to be. In this cozy little island has a casual, welcoming atmosphere that you just can’t find in other parts of the Sunshine State. Folks here still wave and call each other by the first name. In other words, Holmes Beach has just enough southern culture to make its people and way of life delightful, while still offering everything a visitor like yourself could desire.
While we’re on the subject, let’s talk a little bit about lodging. Like other Old Florida destinations, Anna Maria Island isn’t covered in sprawling, overdeveloped hotel chains. However, you will find plenty of comfortable, well-appointed short-term vacation homes that are just perfect for a trip to Holmes Beach. Browse our site and see our selection for yourself. Then make your reservations today and get ready for the time of your life.